Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In 'Around My French Table' by Dorie Greenspan
Make and share this Creamy Mushrooms and Eggs recipe from Food.com.
- 10 ounces mushrooms, caps only, wiped clean (a mix of wild and cultivated)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely minced, rinsed, and patted dry
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 4 small slice brioche bread or 4 small challah, lightly toasted
- 4 poached eggs
- If you have large mushrooms, slice them a scant 1/4 inch thick, then cut the slices crosswise in half.
- If you have smaller mushrooms, leave them whole or slice them in half.
- What you are looking for is bite-size pieces.
- Put a medium skillet over med-high heat and add the butter and oil.
- When the bubbles from the butter have subsided, toss in the shallot and cook, stirring, until glistening and starting to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms have given up their liquid.
- Continue cooking and stirring for another 2 minutes or so, until the mushrooms are tender, then pour in the cream.
- Bring the cream to a boil and cook for 3 minutes or so, until it thickens just a little, then pull the pan from the heat and stir in the rosemary and mint.
- Arrange the brioche on salad plates and top with the mushrooms and then the eggs.