Recipe by Sharon123
I love strudels. I haven't made strudel in a long time, but came across this recipe recently(stuck back in my archives) and will make this tonight! Yum!
- 10 phyllo pastry (strudel leaves)
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 lb chopped mushroom (4 cups packed, raw)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly grated black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground caraway or 1⁄2 teaspoon dill seed
- 8 ounces cream cheese (you can substitute 1/2 pot or cottage cheese)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 2 scallions, minced (include green part)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Filling: Steam mushrooms, drain, squeezing out excess liquid (Save liquid for soupstock).
- Cut cream cheese into hot mushrooms, tossing until cheese melts.
- Add remaining filling ingredients; mix well.
- To Assemble: Use a well-buttered baking tray.
- Melt the butter.
- Lay a leaf of phyllo flat on a wooden surface (or Formica counter) and brush with melted butter.
- Add another leaf and brush with more butter (be generous).
- Continue to stack the leaves until you have 5.
- Apply 1/2 the filling across the width of the leaves, over a 3-4" space and roll it up lightly.
- Brush top with butter and sprinkle on 1 tbsp poppy seeds.
- Using a spatula, transfer to a buttered tray.
- Repeat this ritual to make a second roll.
- Slash each roll into 3rds, on the diagonal.
- Bake 25 minutes at 375°F.
- Serve hot.