Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love strudels. I haven't made strudel in a long time, but came across this recipe recently(stuck back in my archives) and will make this tonight! Yum!
- 10 phyllo pastry (strudel leaves)
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 lb chopped mushroom (4 cups packed, raw)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly grated black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground caraway or 1⁄2 teaspoon dill seed
- 8 ounces cream cheese (you can substitute 1/2 pot or cottage cheese)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 2 scallions, minced (include green part)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Filling: Steam mushrooms, drain, squeezing out excess liquid (Save liquid for soupstock).
- Cut cream cheese into hot mushrooms, tossing until cheese melts.
- Add remaining filling ingredients; mix well.
- To Assemble: Use a well-buttered baking tray.
- Melt the butter.
- Lay a leaf of phyllo flat on a wooden surface (or Formica counter) and brush with melted butter.
- Add another leaf and brush with more butter (be generous).
- Continue to stack the leaves until you have 5.
- Apply 1/2 the filling across the width of the leaves, over a 3-4" space and roll it up lightly.
- Brush top with butter and sprinkle on 1 tbsp poppy seeds.
- Using a spatula, transfer to a buttered tray.
- Repeat this ritual to make a second roll.
- Slash each roll into 3rds, on the diagonal.
- Bake 25 minutes at 375°F.
- Serve hot.
This is absolutely wonderful! I used the full amount of cream cheese, but I might cut it down a bit next time, it is very rich, I used 2 cans well drained mushrooms to save some time, and softened the cream cheese in the microwave to make mixing easier. thanks for a great recipe Sharon!...Kitten:)
This was very good although I would cut in half the amount of cream cheese, yogurt and sour cream next time. It made it very rich and overpowered the mushroom flavor. Otherwise, delicious!
This was absolutely divine. I served it to my company the other night and they all devoured it. Super creamy and super tasty.