Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
One of my favorite mushroom sauce recipes! This is good even without the Parmesan, if you like a cheesy sauce then, also 3 minced garlic cloves may be added with the mushrooms --- I most always use this sauce with my Chicken Wellington (Puff Pastry-Wrapped Chicken) though it's great with anything :)
Top Review by mwoodxmn
Followed this recipe exactly - quick & easy preparation - tasty sauce that can be used with a variety of foods - served it yesterday as a gravy for meatloaf/mashed potato dinner - will definitely continue to use
- 3 -4 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (or use 3 cups chicken stock instead of the wine)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (or to taste) (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the mushrooms in a couple tablespoon butter until they loose their moisture and are just beginning to brown (about 10-12 minutes) set aside.
- In a medium saucepan cook the butter and flour over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until the mixture turns a light golden color (about 6-7 minutes).
- Whisk in the stock and wine, stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 12-15 minutes.
- Add in the cream, and Parmesan cheese (if using) whisk until combined, then add in sauteed mushrooms; simmer for additional 5-7 minutes, or until the sauce coats the back of the spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper.