1/1 Photo of Creamy Mushroom & Roasted Onion Soup
1 hr 40 mins
Karen in MA's Note:
from the LA Times, Dec. 10, 2008 Adapted from Gary Daniel of the Cave food and wine bar at the Ventura Wine Co., a retail shop. He recommends serving the soup with a Chardonnay and crusty bread. The roasted onion can be made ahead of time. Roast the onion and allow it to cool, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, washed and trimmed of any dry ends
- 1 cup white wine, preferably Chardonnay
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese (to garnish)
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Peel one of the onions but leave it whole.
- 3Rub 1 tablespoon of the oil and a pinch each of the salt and pepper over the onion, then wrap it in foil. Roast the onion until it is softened and lightly caramelized, about 1 hour. Remove and cool.
- 4Meanwhile, peel and chop the remaining onion.
- 5Heat a medium, heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining olive oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Stir in the chopped onion, carrot and celery and cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 6Stir in the garlic, shallots and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reserve one mushroom to garnish the finished soup.
- 7Stir in the wine, making sure to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the fresh thyme and bring the contents to a gentle simmer. Cook until the mushrooms soften, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- 8Stir in the vegetable stock and continue to simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- 9Remove from the heat and purée the soup with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender. Return the soup to low heat and stir in the cream. Season with a generous teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper, or to taste. This makes about 8 cups of soup.
- 10Chop the roasted onion into pieces no larger than one-quarter inch. Stir the chopped onion into the soup. Check and adjust the seasoning if desired.
- 11Slice the reserved mushroom into 8 very thin, lengthwise slices. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Garnish each portion with a thin shaving of the Parmigiano-Reggiano, one-fourth teaspoon of the chives and a thin slice of mushroom.
- 12Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Mushroom & Roasted Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.2
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 23.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: