This is like a savory rice pudding, I prefer fresh sautéed mushrooms but canned will do fine, the rice will need to be cooked and completely cold before using, I sometimes like to add in steamed broccoli florets, if desired you may sprinkle some grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese on after baking and return to oven for a few minutes --- this may be doubled but you will need a very large casserole dish, a double recipe will not fit into a 13x9 dish --- prep time does not include cooking the rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release flavor)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups half-and-half cream or 1 2/3 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cups cooked rice (use white or brown)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, well drained (can use two cans)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (optional or to taste)
- 1/3-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Set oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
- 3In a large bowl combine the cooked rice, mushrooms and bell pepper; set aside.
- 4In a saucepan heat butter over medium heat; add in onion and sauté for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- 5Add in garlic, cayenne and thyme; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 6Add in flour and stir for about 2 minutes.
- 7Slowly add in cream and chicken broth; bring to a boil stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- 8Add in mushroom soup and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese; mix until completely combined.
- 9Season with black pepper and salt.
- 10Pour over the rice and toss to coat.
- 11Transfer the mixture to prepared casserole dish.
- 12Sprinkle top with about 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- 13Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Mushroom-Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.1
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 92.6 mg
- Sodium 894.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 19.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: