Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Since this is a hearty filling soup all you really need is crusty bread or buns to serve along side, if you have any leftover chicken throw it into the soup! The amounts may be doubled if desired, the cream of mushroom soup is only optional, add it in for more thickness is desired.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups water
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 -2 potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1 cup 18% table cream (or use 1/3 cup whipping cream)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy pot heat butter over medium heat.
- Add in onion, garlic and diced carrots; saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in flour and cayenne pepper; stir for 1 minute.
- Add in chicken broth or water; bring to a boil stirring constantly and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and potatoes; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes over low heat or until all veggies are tender.
- Stir in cream, condensed soup (if using) and Parmesan cheese; heat though.
- Season with pepper and salt to taste.