Recipe by catalinacrawler
this might seem like alot of steps for a basic chicken dish, but this comes out so tasty & its really alot easier than it may seem!! after 10 minutes pop it into the oven & you have a half hour to clean up or just kick back & relax til serving time. i usually serve this dish with my spicey mashed potatoes & baked asparagus...yummy!!
Top Review by MrsJ
DH and I really enjoyed this recipe. Preparation took a little longer than 10 minutes but was well worth the effort. I like using a lot of fresh vegetables so I added a little celery and zucchini to the vegetable mixture. I substituted a leek for the onion and used a tablespoon of garlic in a jar. I also used chicken thighs instead of breasts. I served with my Rice Pilaf. The flavors of the herbs, spices (especially the cayenne) and fresh vegetables blended very nicely together. We had enough leftovers for another delicious meal. Thanks, Catalinacrawler, for posting this very nice recipe!
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced into coins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 400 & put 10 x 6 casserole dish inside to heat.
- chop onion, garlic and jalepeno. slice mushrooms and carrots. set out remaining ingredients.
- combine flour, cayenne, ¼ tsp sea salt & black pepper in a large ziploc bag. add chicken & shake to coat. reserve remaining flour mixture for later use.
- heat olive oil a large skillet on med-high heat (or pam spray) & brown chicken for 5 minutes each side & add to casserole dish in the oven. if your skillet isn’t large enough you can do this step in batches & just add 1st batch to casserole dish in oven, a little more oil to the skillet and do the next batch & then add to casserole dish.
- add onion, garlic & jalepeno to the skillet & saute for 3-5 minutes scraping up any brown bits. (add extra oo first, if necessary).
- add mushrooms, carrots, basil a pinch of salt and cook for 5 more minutes.
- sprinkle in about 2 tbs of the reserved flour mixture & cook for 2 minutes then add chicken broth, red wine vinegar & cook until bubbly.
- pour over chicken in casserole dish & cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until juices run clear.
- during the last 10 minutes add the peas to warm.