Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
a thick creamy chicken dish with a hint of mushroom flavour. i made this recipe up at christmas and quite impressed by it.
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 med.size flat mushrooms, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 small red onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, diced small
- 2 sprigs spring onions, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (medium preferred)
- 1 1⁄2 cups full cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter, and
- oil (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- cook off chicken, garlic, onion and spring- onion in butter and oil until chicken not quite cooked through.
- spoon mixture into seperate bowl, keeping liquid in pan.
- add second measure of butter to juice and melt together. to this add mustard, cayenne and cornflour, cook for 1 minute.
- Stirring all the time, slowly add wine then cream. stir until thickened.
- Add chicken mixture and mushrooms to sauce and simmer lightly, stirring occasionally, for approx 20mins.
- serve with new potatoes and stirfry veges.
This was a very easy recipe to do that had a nice taste. I love all the ingredients used and the addition of the cayenne was a nice touch, I loved the hint of spiciness that came through. I also loved the red onion as opposed to a brow. I cooked the chicken breasts whole and sliced before serving I served it over celeriac mash which it went great with. The thing that stopped this being a five star recipe was I thought the sauce was a little bland, don't get me wrong a very nice sauce, it just needed that little something else. I added a half teaspoon chicken stock granules and 1 teaspoon of dried thyme, a couple other small things and I found this just finished off. A great post and I will be making again.