1/1 Photo of Creamy Mushroom, Barley and Lima Bean Soup
4 hrs 30 mins
4 hrs 15 mins
There is nothing better than a nice big bowl of homemade creamy mushroom and barley soup with some lima beans. Using a slow cooking crock pot for this recipe makes it a very easy one to make and enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 portabella mushroom (two small or one big one)
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms (small package)
- 1 carrot (medium size)
- 3 cups beef stock (can or beef cubes)
- 1/4 cup barley
- 2 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves (fresh basil finely chopped)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1/4 cup lima beans (frozen)
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup bristol cream, Harveys
- 1/4 lb swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup basil (slightly chopped) or 1/4 cup arugula leaf (slightly chopped)
- 2Cut the stems off the portabella mushrooms, slice into ¼ inch thin pieces and then cut each in half, set aside.
- 3Clean the white button mushrooms and slice into big pieces, set aside.
- 4Clean the carrot and then cut into diagonal slices, set aside.
- 5Cut into thin slices the swiss cheese and set aside.
- 6COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:.
- 7This recipe is based on using a slow cooking crock pot set to 4 hours, high/fast cooking and will depend on you model crock pot; Step #1, 2 hours cooking time, Step #2, 1 1/2 hours cooking time and Step #3, ½ hours cooking time.
- 8Step #1- In a crock pot add the stock, barley, portabella mushrooms, carrots , margarine, 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil leaves, sage, thyme, garlic salt, Mrs. Dash, pinch of white pepper, a quick stir and cook for 2 hours.
- 9Step #2- Next add the white button mushrooms and lima beans, a quick stir and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- 10Step #3- Next add the half & half cream, Harvey’s Bristol Cream, a quick stir and cook for ½ hour.
- 11Ladle soup into individual bowls, topped with some swiss cheese and place in a microwave for about 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- 12Finally add some chopped basil/arugula leaves on top of each individual bowl and serve.
- 15You can serve this soup with a bowl of sour cream on the side and allow guests to add to their soup as desired.
- 16This soup can be served for as a main meal in the evening or for a hearty nice lunch as well.
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Mushroom, Barley and Lima Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.7
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 31.7 mg
- Sodium 852.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: