Recipe by Skipper/Sy
There is nothing better than a nice big bowl of homemade creamy mushroom and barley soup with some lima beans. Using a slow cooking crock pot for this recipe makes it a very easy one to make and enjoy.
- 1 portabella mushroom (two small or one big one)
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms (small package)
- 1 carrot (medium size)
- 3 cups beef stock (can or beef cubes)
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 2 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves (fresh basil finely chopped)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup lima beans (frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup bristol cream, Harveys
- 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup basil (slightly chopped) or 1⁄4 cup arugula leaf (slightly chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the stems off the portabella mushrooms, slice into ¼ inch thin pieces and then cut each in half, set aside.
- Clean the white button mushrooms and slice into big pieces, set aside.
- Clean the carrot and then cut into diagonal slices, set aside.
- Cut into thin slices the swiss cheese and set aside.
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:.
- This recipe is based on using a slow cooking crock pot set to 4 hours, high/fast cooking and will depend on you model crock pot; Step #1, 2 hours cooking time, Step #2, 1 1/2 hours cooking time and Step #3, ½ hours cooking time.
- Step #1- In a crock pot add the stock, barley, portabella mushrooms, carrots , margarine, 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil leaves, sage, thyme, garlic salt, Mrs. Dash, pinch of white pepper, a quick stir and cook for 2 hours.
- Step #2- Next add the white button mushrooms and lima beans, a quick stir and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Step #3- Next add the half & half cream, Harvey’s Bristol Cream, a quick stir and cook for ½ hour.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls, topped with some swiss cheese and place in a microwave for about 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Finally add some chopped basil/arugula leaves on top of each individual bowl and serve.
- You can serve this soup with a bowl of sour cream on the side and allow guests to add to their soup as desired.
- This soup can be served for as a main meal in the evening or for a hearty nice lunch as well.