Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I serve this sauce over breaded chicken, pork or veal cutlets. From Southern Living, 12/05
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (more if you like)
- Melt butter with oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add mushrooms, onion, and garlic and saute 5-7 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken broth and cream cheese and cook, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes or until cream cheese melts. Stir in artichoke hearts, lemon juice and red pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes or until mixture is hot.
So delicious and easy to throw together! We used vegetable broth rather than chicken, and served over egg noodles. We also added black olives. It made for a very delicious vegetarian dish, which we served to our meat-and-potato relatives. It was a hit! UPDATE: I just made a vegan version by substituting vegan margarine for the butter, vegetable broth for the chicken, and Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese for the cream cheese. It turned out beautifully! Absolutely scrumptious! We served it over rice. This will be a regular in our house.
Outstanding! I converted this to a pasta sauce by stirring in a cup of grated parmesan/romano and a few tablespoons of flour at the end. I used scallions for onions, Smart Balance for butter, and about doubled the ground red pepper (cayenne). I served it over penne and my husband couldn't stop raving! Total comfort food. Thanks for posting this great and versatile recipe.
This is delicious. It tastes like a dish we had at a German Restaurant in El Paso and we just loved it.