Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I used a recipe for a creamy mushroom soup as the base, and spruced it up a little. The result is a creamy, rich, hearty soup that is surprisingly low in calories.
- 4 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, cut into large pieces
- Place 1/2 cup cold water and the corn starch in a bowl with a well-fitting lid. Shake vigorously until combined. (You can also combine them in a blender.).
- In medium soup pot, heat garlic and olive oil. Add mushrooms; saute until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients, except rice. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Remove about half the mushrooms. Use an immersion blender to fully puree soup. (You can also put half the mushrooms, the celery, and 1 cup of liquid into a blender and blend until smooth.).
- Return the rest of the mushrooms to the pot, and add cooked rice. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.