Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This originally came from Family Fun magazine. I am posting it to keep from losing it. I omit onions from almost everything. This still turns out great without onions.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sliced celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cups quartered baby red potatoes
- 1 cup chopped yellow squash
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 cups light cream
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more (to garnish)
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1. In a stock pot, melt butter and add onions until tender. Reduce heat and stir in flour, salt, and pepper and stir until smooth. Slowly add broth and stir. Turn the heat up to med-med high and bring to a boil. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots, potatoes, squash, corn and thyme. Reduce and simmer soup about 30 minutes or until the veggies are as tender as you like.
- 2. Add cream, parmesan and chicken. Reduce heat and heat the soup about 10 additional minutes without letting it boil.