1/2 Photos of Creamy Mushroom Alfredo Sauce
Heather Nauta's Note:
This creamy mushroom alfredo sauce recipe is simple and delicious. By using zucchini as the base, you get a mushroom sauce that is full of nutrients and low-fat. You can serve this sauce over any whole grain or noodle, or even a sauteed vegetable, but I have served it over millet. This is a creamy, satisfying dish that doesn’t make you feel tired and sluggish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup millet
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 10 mushrooms, sliced, stems separated
- 1 tablespoon white wine (or water)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1If making millet, rinse and drain it, and add 2 cups of water for your 1 cup of millet. Sprinkle sea salt in the water, bring it to a boil and simmer on low for 20 minutes, or until dry and fluffy.
- 2Meanwhile, heat a pan to medium heat. Add the oil and the sliced mushroom tops. Reserve the stems for the sauce. Saute the mushrooms for a few minutes while you start on the sauce.
- 3Heat a medium sauce pot, add oil, onion and garlic. Stir to coat, and allow to cook for a few minutes until onions are translucent. Stir in the zucchini and mushroom stems and allow to saute for a few minutes until all the vegetables are starting to soften.
- 4The next part of this creamy mushroom sauce recipe is to go back to the mushrooms, sprinkle salt on them, and let cook a few more minutes.
- 5Add the salt, pepper, basil, nutmeg and optional nutritional yeast, and stir to coat the vegetables. Cook until the zucchini is fully softened.
- 6Go back to the mushrooms and when they are fully cooked pour the wine, water and optional lime juice in the pan to deglaze. Set aside until the sauce is finished.
- 7Once it is very soft, add the water, coconut milk and lime juice and let simmer for a couple of minutes. Lime juice makes this sauce very light and playful, so if you are looking for a heavier-tasting creamy sauce leave this out and use more coconut milk.
- 8Blend the vegetables in a blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in the sauteed mushrooms and serve over the fully cooked millet or other grain, garnished with your choice of fresh green herb.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Mushroom Alfredo Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (647 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 634.6
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 334.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 18.4 g