Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from my mother-in-law. It is a rich and delicious pasta dish.
- 6 -8 slices bacon, cut up
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) jars whole mushrooms, drained (I like to use fresh mushrooms, about 1 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces mostaccioli pasta, uncooked (1/2 of a 1 pound package)
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, if desired
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 -8 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- In medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove from fat and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to bacon fat. Cook until golden; drain; set aside.
- Prepare mostaccioli according to package directions; drain.
- In same saucepan, combine half-and-half, butter, parsley flakes, salt, garlic and hot pepper sauce.
- Heat just until butter melts, stirring frequently.
- Combine bacon, mushrooms, hot mostaccioli, half-and-half mixture and Parmesan cheese; toss to coat.
- Place on warm serving platter; garnish with green onions.
- Serve immediately; refrigerate leftovers.
This was good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written except I used hormel bacon pieces. I also didn't add parsley and green onions as we don't like them. I also used fresh mushrooms as hubby prefers them if I have them. We used it as a side dish. It was something different.
OH BABY!!! WHERE HAS THIS RECIPE BEEN ALL MY LIFE!!! Seriously! It went together quickly, tasted fabulous, DH AND DD both (both!!!) loved it and so did I! I always cook up bacon and freeze it, so I could easily put this together any night. (Though the bacon grease adds SOOO much flavor...) I cooked the green onions in with the rest of it, used fat free half and half (with no detriment we could tell....) fresh parsley, and only DD used the hot sauce. We had green peas on the side, but next time I'm going to toss them in with the rest of it. Chopped fresh tomatoes sound good in this, too! DD and I actually argued over who got the leftovers for lunch!
This was a pretty good dish. I didn't have mastaccioli pasta, so I had to substitute a different kind, but I can't see that making much of an overall difference in the original recipe. I really liked the bacon and mushroom combo with just that little hint of spice. I will probably try this again when I have the correct pasta. Thanks!