Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another recipe posted for a request for recipes using gelatin. Haven't tried it, found it in a Pillsbury cookbook. Prep time approximate and doesn't include firming up time in fridge.
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin (2 pkg)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups salad dressing or 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- yellow food coloring or green food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 green pepper
- lettuce leaf
- In a medium saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup of the cold water; stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved; add sugar, salt, remaining 1 1/2 cups water and lemon juice; stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat, add salad dressing and food coloring (if using), stir until well blended; stir in cabbage, carrots and celery.
- Cut part of the green pepper into rings and reserve for later use.
- Chop remaining green pepper and stir into salad.
- Pour into an oiled 6-cup mold; refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours.
- To serve, unmold onto lettuce leaves and garnish with green pepper rings.