Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the "Reader's Digest Microwave Cookbook". We only had a microwave when we got married, so this cookbook was used daily! I am now converted to making rice puddings in the microwave, or any other dish that sticks and burns easliy. All that aside, this is the tastiest rice pudding recipe.
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, and
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 lemon peel strips, and
- 1 bay leaf
- Mix together milk, rice and vanilla in a 2 L (4cup) dish. Cook on HIGH(100%) for 5 minutes or until boiling. Stir.
- Reduce heat to MED-HI(70%) and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir often.
- Beat together egg yolks, sugar, cream, cinnamon and allspice. Stir a small amount of the rice mixture into egg mixture. Then pour the egg mixture back into the rice, stirring rapidly so that it doesn't get lumpy. Stir in raisins.
- Cook at Medium (50%) for 3-4 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Stir every minute.
- Allow pudding to stand covered for about 5 minutes. Serve warm or chilled.
- NOTE: if using the lemon peel and bay leaf: add them at the beginning instead of the vanilla so they can flavour the milk. Remember to remove them from the pudding before adding the egg mixture, because they aren't meant to be eatten. Omit the cinnamon and allspice.