Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "Rush Hour Recipes". Nice and easy in the microwave.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- breadcrumbs (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, boil water. Add macaroni and cook 8 minutes; drain.
- In a glass or microwave safe dish, melt butter for 30 seconds. Blend in flour and salt.
- Stir in milk until smooth.
- Microwave 2 minutes, stirring with a fork after 1 minute, until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until completely melted.
- Pour well drained macaroni into cheese sauce, mixing well.
- Microwave at medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle top with bread crumbs before serving.
I'm not a mac and cheese fan, and I thought this recepie tasted very good, and was quite easy to make. The breadcrumbs are a fantastic addition! I added some cooked, shredded chicken breast to the mac and cheese to make it a full meal, and it is also very good.
I loved it and I have been looking for a recipient for this it is amazing
My wife';s highest praise for a meal is, "you can make this any time." She usually save this comment until her plate is cleared. For this mac and cheese she told me after her second bite. Easy and delicious? Yes, this is good stuff. I sometimes double the cheese, because, well, cheese.