Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From 'recipes for a yummy tummy: lick your lips, help your hips' which came with this month's issue of the 'australian good taste' magazine. I haven't made this and if I were to do so, to meet my taste preferences, I'd omit the red chili and use regular not light cheese. If you decide to make this, do feel free to increase the heat if you want to!
- 350 g lean ground beef or 11 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 125 g mixed beans or 4 ounces mixed beans, drained
- 400 g chopped tomatoes (Aldi's Italian tomatoes are excellent) or 12 1⁄2 ounces chopped tomatoes (Aldi's Italian tomatoes are excellent)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup polenta
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 375 ml carnation light & creamy evaporated milk or 12 1⁄2 fluid ounces carnation light & creamy evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-fat tasty cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/6 gas mark.
- Brown the beef in a pan, preferably non-stick, with the oil and the garlic; add the next 6 ingredients and stir until the mixture boils; simmer for 15 minutes; spoon into four, 1 cup (250ml/8 fluid ounces) capacity ovenproof bowls.
- Combine the polenta with boiling water in a large bowl; add the remaining ingredients, beat to combine and allow to stand for 10 minutes; spoon the mixture evenly over the beef; bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and set.