Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping. From June 2012 Vegetarian Times. Spanish cooking combines sweet and savory in tapas and appetizers. Please be sure to use smoked paprika. The melon's stem end should smell sweet, and the melon should not be rock-hard. Preparation time includes 2 hours for chilling.
- 2 ounces crusty bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 lbs cantaloupe, peeled and diced (from 1/2 large melon)
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped (1 small)
- 1⁄3 cup shallot, minced (1 large)
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon)
- smoked paprika, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 1 1/2 cups cold water over bread in bowl. Set aside 10 minutes to soak.
- Blend softened bread and water in blender until smooth. Add cantaloupe, cucumber, shallot, sherry, oil, and lemon juice; blend until smooth.
- Strain through fine sieve for smooth consistency, if desired, and discard solids. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Chill 2 hours, or overnight. Serve sprinkled with smoked paprika.