Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is so easy and absolutely delicious and it is wonderful served over pork, chicken or lamb. It is a great way to clean out your pantry. It is a simple a very hearty sauce. A mix of tomatoes, olives, capers, onions, artichokes and mushrooms with a hint of cream make this a rich creamy sauce. For the main course ... try marinating the pork, chicken or lamb in just a 'bottled Greek salad dressing' all day, then prepare by either pan searing, broiling, baking or grilling; and then serve over a bed or orzo or rice and top with this sauce. Makes a wonderful dinner.
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can artichoke hearts, diced
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can black olives, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon capers (more or less to taste)
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and thin sliced
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt (go light because the olives and capers are salty)
- olive oil, to saute
- Base -- Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to your saute pan; if using non stick 1 teaspoon is fine. Heat to medium / medium high heat. Add in the onions and cook 2 minutes; then add in the capers, olives and mushrooms and cook another minute or two to combine all the flavors.
- Sauce -- Add the white wine to deglaze the pan and scrape up any bits. Cook another minute to reduce the wine. Reduce the heat to medium and add in the tomatoes, artichoke hearts and cream, stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper; go easy on the salt. Nothing more is needed.
- Simmer -- Just simmer on medium / medium low and let the sauce reduce. It will take about 10 minutes to slightly thicken. Remember this is not a THICK sauce or gravy.
- Serve -- Spoon the sauce over grilled pork, chicken or lamb. This is excellent over rice, pasta (I love orzo for this), couscous and even butter noodles. This is even excellent over a baked potato topped with feta cheese. Fresh basil makes a nice garnish if you want. ENJOY!