Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom made this for me as I was growing up--I really liked it.
- 1 lb lean hamburger
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine meat, onion, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Mix well with hands.
- Shape into small balls.
- In hot oil in skillet over medium heat, brown meat on all sides.
- Turn into 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Combine cream of mushroom soup and remaining 3/4 cup sour cream in small bowl and mix well.
- Pour over meatballs.
- Cover and bake 375°F for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
I made this recipe for mine and my SO's dinner on 10/16/13. As I was reading through the recipe, I noticed there was allspice in the ingredients but not in the directions. I wasn't sure where I was supposed to add it, so 1/4 teaspoon was added to the meatball mixture and the other 1/4th. was added to the gravy. For my personal tastes, I used Golden Mushroom Soup. I do think that 3/4 cup was just a bit too much of sour cream for the gravy. So if this is made again , I'm reducing the sour cream to 1/2 cup and adding just a touch of Worcestershire Sauce. " Keep Smiling :) "
This is a nice simple dinner. I reduced the sour cream to 1/2 Cup as that was all I had on hand.
The sauce was a nice consistency, so I think I would leave it that way. I also reduced the allspice to 1/4 tsp as I thought the flavour might be really strong - I was wrong! I could have used the whole amount, and I will do that next time. Thanks for sharing your mom's recipe.