Recipe by Prose
Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite foods, but it's fun and healthy to sub in different root veggies from time to time. This is one of my favorite combinations so far. The tartness of the turnips is nicely balanced by the sweetness of the parsnips. I enjoy these with Veggie Loaf, Another Yummy Veggie Loaf, or Vegan Fried Chicken/Vegan Chicken Nuggets (Gluten-Free).
Top Review by COOKGIRl
Olive oil replaced margarine/butter, reduced sugar almond milk replaced soy and I warmed the almond milk first, homemade vegan mayo. One could use any number of root vegetables in this recipe and fresh herbs would be a colorful addition. I accidentally cut into a root vegetable (unknown species) that had pink and white flesh. It turned my mash an interesting shade of light pink. (There will be no photo submitted.) Delicious! PS all local grown organic root vegetables were used for this recipe. Reviewed for Veg Tag January.
- 2 large turnips
- 4 large parsnips
- 59.14 ml vegan margarine (Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
- 59.14 ml plain soymilk (more or less as needed)
- 29.58 ml vegan mayonnaise (Vegenaise...optional, but recommended for super creaminess)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile wash your veggies and chop them into large cubes.
- Add the veggies to the boiling water and cook for about 20 minutes. When they are tender, drain them, return them to the pot, and mash them with whatever mashing utensil you have on hand.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, taste, and adjust the seasonings as needed.