Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
We had these delicious and rich mashed potatoes with the Prawns in an Apple Sauternes Broth #118420 at Culinary Communion. Posted with permission.
- Scrub and peel the potatoes, then cut them into pieces all approximately of the same size and place them into a large pot.
- Cover with cold water, then bring to a boil; slightly reduce heat and gently boil until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking and almost done, in a saucepan combine the half and half, butter, salt, and pepper and simmer until melted and combined; set aside and keep warm.
- When potatoes are tender, drain well.
- Pass the potatoes through a food mill or mash with a potato masher (do not use an electric mixer).
- Gradually add the warm liquid mixture to the milled/mashed potatoes, stirring, until you've added enough liquid to achieve the consistency you prefer (you might not need all the liquid).
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste, if necessary, and serve.
- Note: this is an excellent basic recipe you can add other tasty ingredients to, such as roasted garlic, crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola, chopped or minced scallions/basil/parsley, caramelized onions or leeks.