This is a low-carb stand-in for mashed potatoes. The spices and cream that are added to steamed and pureed cauliflower give this dish the taste, texture and appearance of mashed potatoes. Serve this up with any entrée that goes well with mashed potatoes, and I swear you'll never miss the spuds.
- Divide a head of cauliflower into florets that are all roughly the same size.
- Steam cauliflower pieces over boiling water (15 to 20 minutes), or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Drain the cauliflower and toss it in a bowl of ice water to bring the cooking process to a screeching halt.
- When the cauliflower has cooled, put the florets in a food processor along with 1/2 cup of water.
- Puree the cauliflower on high speed until smooth, but with some very small pieces of cauliflower remaining in the mix for just a bit of texture.
- Pour all of the pureed cauliflower into a medium sauce pan.
- Dissolve the corn starch in the remaining 1/4 cup of water and add the solution to the cauliflower.
- Add the cream, salt, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to the cauliflower and stir.
- Set the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thick.