Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
As seen on the Sonoran Living program (an Arizona area ABC morning show), by Linda Bosse Singh. This recipe features "frozen fresh tomatoes" as prepared by Linda Singh, which are described below. A useful method of easily preserving your extra summer tomato crop! You can, of course, use completely fresh tomatoes, instead.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, good quality and organic if possible
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 4 -5 large tomatoes, fresh frozen, skinned and chopped up (keep the juice!)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil (use a variety of flavored basils, especially lemon if you have it)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper (optional)
- 1 pinch sugar, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- cooked pasta, of your choice (8 to 10 servings worth)
- grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- fresh basil leaf, for garnish
- Fresh frozen tomatoes: pick juicy tomatoes, make sure they are clean and dry, then pop them in a Ziploc bag, single layer; label your bag with date and put flat into freezer; when ready to use, just take out as many as you need and run them under hot water (or put then in a bowl of hot water) and after a minute or two the skins will peel right off, then just chop and use; use these instead of canned tomatoes.
- In a hot sauce pan or small wok, put in olive oil and fresh garlic; stir and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes together with their juice and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, basil, salt and pepper, and roasted peppers (if using), and bring to a simmer them it through.
- Serve over cooked pasta, garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.
- Also good over baked halibut, grilled shrimp, chicken, or grilled vegetables.