Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Easy breakfast casserole, made the night before then baked. Sweet, with no meat or vegetables in it but feel free to serve it with crisp bacon or Canadian bacon or sausage. Cooking time doesn’t include overnight chilling.
- 1 lb loaf bread (French or Italian cut into 1/2 inch cubes, divided)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Grease 13x9 inch pan.
- Place ½ the bread cubes in the bottom of pan.
- Top with cream cheese cubes place evenly.
- Top with remaining bread.
- In large mixing bowl beat eggs, half and half, maple syrup and salt until smooth.
- Pour evenly over the bread.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- In morning remove casserole from refrigerator and heat oven to 350.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over bread.
- Bake until top in golden brown and center is set, about 35-45 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving in cut squares.
- Serve with additional maple syrup or fruit sauce on the side.
This is a filling and sweet dish to wake up to! I made half the recipe, and it easily serves six, so you may want to adjust the servings/nutrition facts. The only change I would make would be to cut the cream cheese smaller or cream it with the eggs. This was very good though, thanks!