1/1 Photo of Creamy Macaroni 'n' Cheese
Amber of AZ's Note:
A remade comfort dish. Easy to adjust to anyone's dietary needs. A teaspoon of cumin in the cheese mixture makes for a tangier mac and cheese if you want a different taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 3/4 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 3/4 cups 2% fat cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (fresh ground makes it really good)
- 1In a microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave onion on high for 2 minutes or until tender; drain.
- 2You could just caramelize the onions in a skillet on the stove top if you don't want to stink up the microwave.
- 3Add the macaroni, cheddar cheese and parsley.
- 4In a bowl mix the milk, cottage cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- 5Mix until it is well combined and somewhat smooth.
- 6Stir into macaroni mixture.
- 7Pour into a 1 1/2 quart casserole coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- 8Bake, uncovered at 350°F for 20- 25 minutes or until lightly- browned.
- 9Burnt cheese bits are good.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Macaroni 'n' Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.9
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.7 mg
- Sodium 486.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 16.7 g