1/14 Photos of Creamy Macaroni & Cheese - for Two or One
Diana #2's Note:
I shouldn't be surprised that there are more than 600 recipes for this dish. After reading many, many of them, I have come to the conclusion that this one has it's place here at Zaar. The sauce is smooth and creamy, with little pockets of melted cheese throughout. I hope you like this as much as I do. Cooking time includes the making of the sauce and baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup pasta, with nooks & crannies for holding the sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon chives, chopped, mostly for colour
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Preheat oven at 350°F.
- 2Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al-dente. Drain and set aside.
- 3Heat the milk in the microwave, on high for 1-1/2 minutes.
- 4In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add salt, pepper and chopped onion. Sauté on medium heat, until the onion is transparent and soft, but not brown.
- 5Sprinkle the flour on top, and allow the butter to absorb some of it before stirring.
- 6Add the hot milk in 3 additions, stirring constantly. The mixture will get thick very quickly.
- 7After the final addition of milk, continue heating the mixture, on medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly.
- 8*Remove from heat* and stir in the grated cheese, chives and red pepper flakes.
- 9Add the drained pasta and mix well.
- 10Fold in the cubed cheese.
- 11Pour into two greased onion soup bowls.
- 12Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- 13Allow to cool a bit before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Macaroni & Cheese - for Two or One
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 701.1
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 126.6 mg
- Sodium 924.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 30.2 g