1/9 Photos of Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
1 hr 20 mins
This is my absolute very favorite macaroni and cheese recipe and I have a large collection of m/c recipes. Adapted from Southern Living. I don't make this very often because I could literally eat the whole thing and lick the dish clean.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (10 ounce) packages sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (I use Cracker Barrel)
- 1 (10 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cracker Barrel)
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1In a big skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- 2Whisk the flour in gradually until the mixture is smooth.
- 3Cook and whisk continually for 2 minutes.
- 4Add in salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic; stir to combine.
- 5Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk.
- 6Cook and whisk continually for 8-10 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- 7Add in half of the sharp cheddar cheese; stir.
- 8Add in all of the extra-sharp cheddar cheese; stir until smooth.
- 9Take skillet off stove burner.
- 10Mix together the cooked macaroni and cheese mixture; transfer to a greased 13x9 inch casserole dish.
- 11Sprinkle with the remaining sharp cheddar cheese.
- 12Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes (may need to bake longer for a crispy top).
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 902.0
- Calories from Fat 513
- Total Fat 57.0 g
- Saturated Fat 35.6 g
- Cholesterol 173.2 mg
- Sodium 966.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 39.1 g