This is my absolute very favorite macaroni and cheese recipe and I have a large collection of m/c recipes. Adapted from Southern Living. I don't make this very often because I could literally eat the whole thing and lick the dish clean.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (10 ounce) packages sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (I use Cracker Barrel)
- 1 (10 ounce) package extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cracker Barrel)
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- In a big skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Whisk the flour in gradually until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook and whisk continually for 2 minutes.
- Add in salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic; stir to combine.
- Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk.
- Cook and whisk continually for 8-10 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Add in half of the sharp cheddar cheese; stir.
- Add in all of the extra-sharp cheddar cheese; stir until smooth.
- Take skillet off stove burner.
- Mix together the cooked macaroni and cheese mixture; transfer to a greased 13x9 inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sharp cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes (may need to bake longer for a crispy top).