Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this from BHG magazine. I love the bacon, caramelized onion and blue cheese in this recipe.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 2 -4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, turning once. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble. Reserve bacon drippings in skillet.
- Cook onion in reserved bacon drippings for 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender and golden brown. Set aside.
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions. Drain and place in a 1-1/2-quart casserole. Add the crumbled bacon, onions.
- Combine in a saucepan 1-1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, the blue cheese, half-and half, 2 Tbsp butter,and pepper. Cook over low-med heat stirring constantly until it is smooth sauce-like texture. Pour over macaroni, onions and bacon.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir gently. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10 minutes more or until top of casserole is brown and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes.