Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
printed in the new york times, Jan. 4th, 2006.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cottage cheese (not lowfat)
- 2 cups milk (not skim)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni, uncooked
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and position an oven rack in upper third of oven. Use 1 tablespoon butter to butter a 9-inch round or square baking pan.
- In a blender, purée cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together. Reserve ¼ cup grated cheese for topping. In a large bowl, combine remaining grated cheese, milk mixture and uncooked pasta. Pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover pan, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese and dot with remaining tablespoon butter. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.