Recipe by TaterBug! :)
This is a delicious, creamy, satisfying yet light rice pudding recipe for coconut lovers! I like to make this recipe with brown rice as well for added nutrition and flavor. Use a medium grain white rice or arborrio rice.
Top Review by toodles555
This is a very tasty recipe, but it is one of the first rice pudding recipes I've made with so MANY calories!!! The coconut really adds sweetness to the rice pudding, as does the milk. I made the recipe exactly as it was listed, and it seemed overly sweet to me. The next time I'll make the recipe without sugar, or with very little sugar. I'll also try fat free milk and less coconut to reduce the calorie count. But, with these few adjustments, I'm sure that this recipe will be perfect!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 dash nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, coconut and milk in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly, 7-8 minutes.
- Temper eggs by whisking a little of the hot milk into them before adding to the hot milk mixture.
- Whisk egg mixture into milk mixture.
- Add rice, vanilla, coconut extract and nutmeg.
- Stir gently and spoon into dessert dishes, eat hot or chill. (I prefer chilled).