Recipe by ladypit
It was one of those evenings where it is 5 pm and I don't know what I'm making for dinner. I knew I wanted meatless and lower fat, but I don't have that many fresh veggies right now. I remembered some frozen asparagus and so, using a recipe in a cookbook as a jumping off point, created this meal. After 6 or 8 comments of "this is really good!" I decided to post it.
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne, uncooked
- 1 lb frozen asparagus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 3 tablespoons fat free cream cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans (drained)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded hard goat cheese (or parmesean)
Directions See How It's Made
- Start the water for the pasta. When it is boiling add the penne and cook until done. Drain.
- Cut the frozen asparagus into 1 inch pieces. Place it, along with 1/4 cup water, in a microwave safe container. Microwave on high for 4 minutes and then put aside.
- Spray a large pan with nonstick spray. Heat the pan. Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the flour and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add the milk and stir constantly for 8 minutes or until the mixture gets bubbly and starts to get thick.
- Stir in the cream cheese and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add the goat cheese and stir until melted.
- Take the pan off the heat. Add the asparagus and drained beans and mix well. Add the cooked pasta and mix.
- Top with a little pepper and salt.