1/2 Photos of Creamy Lime Pie (Rick Bayless)
1 hr 5 mins
Or Pay de Lim'on comes from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen. Delicious and not too sweet. I use My Favorite Pie Crust and sealed it with beaten egg yolk right after it comes out of my oven. The timing here does not include the time needed to make and bake the single crust before putting this filling into nor does it include making the creme fraiche or crema mexicana. I used Crema Mexicana. Notice how this pie is baked and not stirred in sauce pan on top of the stove. The original recipe said 4 1/2 teaspoons of lime zest, we thought that was not enough so upped it to 5 teaspoons of lime zest. Am unsure if that is the right amount? It also has orange liqueur in it making it muy bueno! Rick Bayless also suggests serving it with Crimson Prickly Pear Sauce which RZ does not recognize as an ingredient or with a fruit sauce of your choice. Lots of ingredients here should be at room temperature-eggs, crema Mexicana, limes (about 4), and oranges (2?). I have eliminated the masa harina after looking at appleydapply's kind review.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pie shell, baked in 9 inch glass pie dish
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 24.64 ml lime zest, finely chopped (colored rind only no pith)
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml creme fraiche, at room temperature
- 29.58 ml creme fraiche, at room temperature
- 88.74 ml fresh lime juice
- 88.74 ml fresh orange juice
- 22.18 ml orange liqueur
- 14.79 ml powdered sugar, for garnish
- fruit sauce (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Crack the eggs into a large bowl; measure in the lime zest, sugar, and masa harina or flour, and beat by hand until thoroughly combined.
- 3Stir in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the creme fraiche, lime juice, orange juice, and orange liqueur.
- 4Pour this mixture into the prebaked pie shell, set in the lower third of the oven, and bake until nearly set in the center ( a knife inserted halfway between the edge and the center should come out clean), about 45 minutes. Note: mine took over 55 minutes before it was baked.
- 5I suggest putting an aluminum foil rim covering just the crust up so that crust does not get too dark. I make 4 skinny foil strips and then just lay them over the crust trying not to cover the filling any more than necessary. My crust in photos are too dark b/c I waited 15 minutes before putting them on, and with the filling being so wiggly why not just move it one less time?.
- 6Cool slightly; serve warm, dusted with powdered sugar and with fruit sauce dribbled around.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Lime Pie (Rick Bayless)
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.3
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 125.2 mg
- Sodium 156.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: