From the September 2011 Cooking Light (cover recipe). This is the most delicious macaroni and cheese I've ever eaten! No one will know it's full of healthy butternut squash and just the right amount of cheese. This is a true winner! To save time, I bought my butternut squash in the produce section already cut up. Perfect and what a time saver. Use a pasta with a nice shape to cling to all the yummy sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed peeled
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 cups gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated and divided
- 1 lb uncooked pasta
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2Combine squash, broth, milk, and garlic in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 3Place the hot squash mixture in a blender. Add salt, pepper, and Greek yogurt. Remove the center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Place blended squash mixture in a bowl; stir in Gruyère, pecorino Romano, and 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano. Stir until combined.
- 4Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain well. Add pasta to squash mixture, and stir until combined. Spread mixture evenly into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 5Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add panko, and cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the hot pasta mixture. Lightly coat topping with cooking spray.
- 6Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy, Light Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.2
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 21.2 mg
- Sodium 403.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 17.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese