Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup dried pink lentils
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 (13 3/4 ounce) cans no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 7 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add next 3 ingredients; saute 3 minutes.
- Add cumin and curry powder; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add lentils and next 3 ingredients; stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon one-third of mixture into container of an electric blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- Spoon into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure with remaining lentil mixture.
- Return mixture to pan; cook over medium heat until heated.
- Ladle into soup bowls; top with yogurt.
I really like using cumin so this suited me just fine. I also like lentils so this just couldn't loose!!! Very tasty soup. I usually add stuff to a recipe but I did not with this one and it was just great as is!! Thanks for another good one Dancer.
I loved the flavor of this recipe! Will make it again!
This was a nicely spiced, satisfying soup. I didn't blend half the soup, but I cooked the soup for an extra 20 minutes, which caused a lot of the beans to disintegrate and made the soup more thick. Thanks for sharing!