These are perfect to serve at a get together, this recipe makes a ton of tarts (about 50 mini tarts) but the recipe can be cut in half if desired. The original recipe states to prepare the lemon mixture on top of the stove, but this tends to scorch easily so the second time I made it, it worked out better in the microwave, but you can definitely prepare it on top of the stove in a heavy-bottomed saucepan if desired. Although it is always better to use fresh lemon juice, I use the juice of two lemons and bottled lemon juice to make up the 1 cup, this is very lemony and tart, so you might want to adjust the sugar to suit taste, just add in more while the mixture is cooking.
- 45 -50 prepared tart shells, baked and cooled
- 2 cups white sugar (add in more sugar to taste if desired while filling is cooking)
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, cut into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- cool whip frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In the microwave (I use my 8-cup Pyrex measuring cup for this) or on top of the stove (using a heavy-bottomed sauce pan) combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolks, half and half and whipping cream (can use 2 cups half and half cream if desired and omit the whipping cream); whisk to combine.
- Microwave on HIGH until thick (removing about every minute to whisk/stir).
- Cook until thickened.
- Stir in butter; whisk until butter has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Cool to almost room temperature, stirring every so often.
- Stir in sour cream until well blended.
- Divide evenly between baked tart shells.
- Top with a dollup of Cool Whip.
These look delicious and I will definitely make them. Thanks for the recipe. One thing, though. Cool Whip?? Really?? These deserve real whipped cream!
Delicious, easy, and even better frozen!! I used a homemade gingersnap crust instead of the pastry shells and made individual dessert-sized portions in a muffin tin.
Just made these as directed, except I cooked it on the stove instead of the microwave, and they are delicious. I often find lemon things too sweet but this is a perfect lemon taste.