Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This fun cake is wonderful for parties, showers, and anytime you want a refreshing, lemony dessert. It is called "poke" cake because you poke holes in the cake and pour pudding into these. Once cut, the pudding will make yummy stripes through each slice. You could adapt the recipe for your favorite flavor cake and pudding combo. Please note: cook time is for cake.
- Bake cake according to box directions, using two 8 inch round pans.
- While cake is baking, whip together cream cheese, lemon juice and powdered sugar into creamy frosting.
- When cake is done baking, cool for ten minutes then spread approximately 1/3 frosting on top only of the first cake round.
- Place second cake round directly on top of first and poke appx. 10-15 holes down through cakes with round handle of wooden spoon, staying at least 1/2 inch away from edge of cake at 1-inch intervals.
- Make pudding as directed.
- Using a small funnel, immediately pour about 1/2 of the thin pudding into holes.
- Let remaining pudding mixture stand to thicken slightly.
- Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Spoon thickened pudding over top of cake, swirling with a toothpick to "frost" cake.
- Sprinkle grated lemon peel over top of cake to garnish.
- Refridgerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Store cake in refrigerator.