Adopted Parisian's Note:
This fun cake is wonderful for parties, showers, and anytime you want a refreshing, lemony dessert. It is called "poke" cake because you poke holes in the cake and pour pudding into these. Once cut, the pudding will make yummy stripes through each slice. You could adapt the recipe for your favorite flavor cake and pudding combo. Please note: cook time is for cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bake cake according to box directions, using two 8 inch round pans.
- 2While cake is baking, whip together cream cheese, lemon juice and powdered sugar into creamy frosting.
- 3When cake is done baking, cool for ten minutes then spread approximately 1/3 frosting on top only of the first cake round.
- 4Place second cake round directly on top of first and poke appx. 10-15 holes down through cakes with round handle of wooden spoon, staying at least 1/2 inch away from edge of cake at 1-inch intervals.
- 5Make pudding as directed.
- 6Using a small funnel, immediately pour about 1/2 of the thin pudding into holes.
- 7Let remaining pudding mixture stand to thicken slightly.
- 8Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- 9Spoon thickened pudding over top of cake, swirling with a toothpick to "frost" cake.
- 10Sprinkle grated lemon peel over top of cake to garnish.
- 11Refridgerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Store cake in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Lemon "poke" Cake
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 613.1
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 127.9 mg
- Sodium 803.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 10.5 g