Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the recipe I use if someone requests lemon filling in a wedding cake. It has a excellent consistency for a cake filling and a wonderful lemon flavor.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, zest of
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Mix together the sugar and cornstarch in a 2 quart heavy saucepan.
- Slowly whisk in the water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Continue boiling for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and spoon 1/2 cup of the cornstarch mixture into the egg yolks, stirring quickly.
- Quickly whisk the egg yolks back into the cornstarch mixture stirring constantly until well mixed.
- Return saucepan to stove and cook over medium heat until thickened about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter, lemon juice and zest stirring well.
- Cool before using.
Luby, This was the perfect filling! It takes time and effort but worth every minute!It took about 1 1/2 lemons.This is a winner! LaRena
I don't know what I did wrong, but mine would not set up. I had lemon filling all over my cake. It thickened in cooking, but did not set up anymore after it was cooled. I even made two batches, neither one was a success.