Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
This is the recipe I use if someone requests lemon filling in a wedding cake. It has a excellent consistency for a cake filling and a wonderful lemon flavor.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, zest of
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the sugar and cornstarch in a 2 quart heavy saucepan.
- Slowly whisk in the water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Continue boiling for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and spoon 1/2 cup of the cornstarch mixture into the egg yolks, stirring quickly.
- Quickly whisk the egg yolks back into the cornstarch mixture stirring constantly until well mixed.
- Return saucepan to stove and cook over medium heat until thickened about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter, lemon juice and zest stirring well.
- Cool before using.