Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A leek soup recipe I threw together because I had no potatoes on hand...this is not for anyone who follows a low-fat diet, but it turned out pretty well: creamy and slighty sweet, a great lunch dish with a green salad and a piece of crusty bread.
- 2 cups leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 quart vegetable broth, I used Kitchen Essentials
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Saute leeks and garlic in melted butter over medium heat until tender but not colored.
- Reduce heat, add broth, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree using blender, food processor, or immersion blender.
- Add cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
This is wonderful, and definitely filling enough for a main course. I used a bit more leeks than called for (3 leeks) and reduced the amount of butter and broth. I also substituted the heavy cream for half and half and omitted the salt. I am so glad to have this recipe. My husband loves leek and potato soup, but can't have potatoes anymore. Thank you!