Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Clipped from the News Herald via Associated Press. by J.M. Hirsch Exotic flavors for a leek and potato soup!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 small leeks, end trimmed, thinley sliced (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large apple, diced (peeled and cored)
- 5 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- chopped chives (to garnish)
- 2 slices bacon, cooked
- Saute leeks in large saucepan in olive oil til wilted and slightly carmelized.
- Add spices, saute another minute.
- Add apple, potatoes and saute another minute.
- Add broth and milk, cover and simmer til potatoes are done.
- Blend all in a blender or use an immersion blender. Return to saucepan and season to taste. Add crumbled bacon and serve garnished with chives.
I am eating this now out of the freezer so its been a while since I originally made it. Somehow I added too much salt which was my own fault. I like the ginger in the dish but I did not add the bacon. Maybe they would clash? When I make this again with the right amount of seasonings I may update the review.
sorry, didnt work for me. The texture was sticky and thick, the soup seemed to have conflicting flavors. Even with the addition of 2 full cups of water it still wasnt quite "there". I might toss it. 2 stars because it IS etible, and maybe this was just a personal taste issue...?