Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs 30 mins
Leeks can have sand in them, the best way t make sure all sand is gone, is to cut the leek lengthwise, almost to the root end. Then rinse under cool water and fan the leaves. This soup can be served warm or chilled. I personally like it warm.
- 6 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- chopped fresh chives, to garnish
- Mix all ingredients except half-and-half and chives in 3 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Pour vegetable mixture by batches into blender or food processor. Cover and blend on high until smooth; return to cooker. Stir in half-and-half.
- Cover and cook on low heat 20-30 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with chives.
This is really lovely, such great flavour with minimal ingredients. I cooked in my crockpot for about 4 hours on high and since we don't have half and half here I just used milk.
lovely soup, so flavourful!! I added 2 bay leaves and some garlic and used 2% milk instead of the half and half. It turned out wonderful. Made it for the freezer for lunches, The chives added a lovely freshness to it and looked so nice serving it. Thanks for posting , I will make it again.
This soup was fantastic, a nice thick soup. I added dill instead of chives and a can of corn along with the half-and-half. We really enjoyed it and will definitely make it again.