Recipe by Tish
This is a creamy delectable soup worthy of home and company!
Top Review by CoastrLvr
Excellent! This recipe puts a twist on potato leek soup with the addition of gouda and mushrooms!! This recipe became an instant comfort food favorite in my house. Bring on the cold weather, we're more ready with this warming soup recipe. Thanks for posting it, delicious!!!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups leeks, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 1 cup brown mushrooms or 1 cup white mushroom, chopped
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (10 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth or 2 (10 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 6 slices rye bread, toasted,cut into thirds
- 2 cups gouda cheese or 2 cups edam cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and cook leeks, mushrooms, onion and garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle vegetables with flour and stir in.
- Gradually stir in broth and water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In several batches, pour soup into blender jar, cover and blend at high speed until vegetables are puréed and smooth.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into 6 ovenproof soup bowls.
- Top each bowl with 3 pieces of toast and 1/3 cup cheese.
- Broil under preheated broiler until cheese is melted and slightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately.