Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Leek and fennel in a creamy sauce covered with a crust of parmesan and breadcrumbs. The addition of fennel seeds intensifies the flavor.
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1 large fennel, coarsely shredded (about 2-3 cups)
- 2 leeks, sliced (1 cm thick of white part plus some of lighter green part)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup double cream (heavy cream)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced (or grated)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Butter a casserole dish and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 190C/375°F.
- Parboil the veggies for 5-10 minutes until tender crisp.
- In the meantime, combine all the ingredients for the cream sauce in a small saucepan. Heat over medium low heat until very hot, but not boiling, about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Drain the veggies well and spread over the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Pour cream sauce over veggies. Stir around lightly to incorporate the sauce throughout.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over veggies.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until bubbly and top top is golden brown.
- Allow to sit 5 minutes prior to serving.
Outstanding! The sauce is perfect for the fennel and leeks. I made this exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing...... except double the recipe next time! Thanx for posting.
Can I honestly rate a recipe if I just cook it and don't eat it? I hate fennel, hate it with a passion. But Sushiman and his kids love the stuff, so I made this for them. The recipe is easy to make, and based on the amount left over by Sushiman and crew (nothing left), I would say this was a success!