Prep 8 mins
Cook 6 mins
Happy St. Patrick's Day! This smooth and luscious pie is just as good made with reduced-fat cream cheese and "lite" frozen whipped topping. It will need a couple hours to chill. Enjoy!
- 1 pre-baked pie crust
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package chocolate pudding mix, mix (NOT-instant but "cook & serve" variety)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5 -6 drops green food coloring
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Andes mints candies, unwrapped and chopped
- Whisk together milk and pudding mix in a saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and bubbles; reduce heat to low; add chocolate chips and stir until melted; pour into baked pie crust and place pie in refrigerator while you do the next step.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, peppermint extract and food coloring for 1-2 minutes until smooth and fluffy; gently fold in whipped topping; spread over the chocolate mixture in pie crust; refrigerate 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Garnish pie with chopped chocolate-mints (the Andes candies may also be shaved into curls using a vegetable peeler) and serve; keep pie stored in refrigerator.
- NOTE: You may vary the extract, food coloring, and garnish for a completely different version of the pie. For example, strawberry extract, pink food coloring, and a strawberry rose for garnish. Have fun!
YUMMY! I used a ready-made OREO pie crust and then garnished with sliced oreos. It was a hit. I also felt that 1/2 tsp peppermint wasn't enough for my taste so I increased it to 1 full tsp. Very good. Thanks.
Made this for a church group (with all excellent cooks.) They loved it. I was asked repeatedly for the recipe, and gave Deb and Recipezaar full credit. It was so rich, and yet, not too much.