Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is the most *heavenly* banana dessert! Because of the bananas this is best served the same day it is made. The cream filling can be cooked on top of the stove but to avoid scortching the saucepan I like to cook it in the microwave. Plan ahead the filling needs to chill for 4 hours, prep time includes chilling time. For a less sweeter whipped cream you can reduce or omit the powdered sugar.
- 2 cups full-fat milk milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use 3 cups milk and 1 cup half and half)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon banana extract (or use 1 tablespoon vanilla)
- 1 (12 ounce) box vanilla wafers (do not crush!)
- 4 large ripe bananas, sliced
- 3 cups frozen blueberries (divided into 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 cups whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar (or use Cool Whip frozen topping, thawed omitting the powdered sugar)
- Prepare a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- In a microwave-safe bowl whisk milk with egg yolks, 1-1/2 cups sugar, and flour, microwave until thickened, removing and whisking a couple of times during cooking.
- Stir in butter and banana extract or vanilla until combined; let cool for 10 minutes (this can also be cooked on top of stove in a heavy-bottomed saucepan).
- Meanwhile arrange HALF of the wafer cookies evenly into the bopttom of the baking dish, then top with HALF of the banana slices and then HALF of the blueberries.
- Spoon HALF of the cooked pudding mixture over the berries.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- In a bowl beat the 2 cups whipping cream until just slightly thickened, then add in powdered sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Spread over the chilled pudding.
- chill until ready to serve or serve immediately.