If kohlrabi is the vegetable that looks like it comes from Mars, then this is the salad from Mars.
Make and share this Creamy Kohlrabi Salad recipe from Food.com.
- Cut kohlrabi into quarters and steam, covered, over boiling water until tender, 25 minutes.
- When kohlrabi are cool enough to handle, remove the skins with your fingers.
- Place kohlrabi in a medium bowl with scallions and onion.
- In a food processor or blender, combine ricotta, mayonnaise, and mustard and process just until creamy.
- Pour ricotta mixture over kohlrabi mixture and toss well to combine.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Made for Sunday dinner with the inlaws - it was a hit! Easy to make and flavorful!!
This is a welcome side step on the usual potato salad. The local market garden growers set up shop each here in town each Wed and I enjoy buying from the Hutterites. They always have very fresh organic produce and this past Wed I grabbed some kolrabi. I found this recipe in the search for a worthy destiny for the veggies. I love this and the single thing that keeps it from being 5 stars is that it's very bland, I added some red pepper flakes and that made a huge difference in the zing factor. :D
I'd never cooked kohlrabi before... it always gets eaten right out of the garden, but I thought this would be a good first recipe to try. After steaming they seemed strangely waterlogged. It made the mix too bland so I added a LOT more mustard. It was enjoyable though.