Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
If kohlrabi is the vegetable that looks like it comes from Mars, then this is the salad from Mars.
Make and share this Creamy Kohlrabi Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb kohlrabi, each about 2 inches across
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon coarse grain mustard
- Cut kohlrabi into quarters and steam, covered, over boiling water until tender, 25 minutes.
- When kohlrabi are cool enough to handle, remove the skins with your fingers.
- Place kohlrabi in a medium bowl with scallions and onion.
- In a food processor or blender, combine ricotta, mayonnaise, and mustard and process just until creamy.
- Pour ricotta mixture over kohlrabi mixture and toss well to combine.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Made for Sunday dinner with the inlaws - it was a hit! Easy to make and flavorful!!
This is a welcome side step on the usual potato salad. The local market garden growers set up shop each here in town each Wed and I enjoy buying from the Hutterites. They always have very fresh organic produce and this past Wed I grabbed some kolrabi. I found this recipe in the search for a worthy destiny for the veggies. I love this and the single thing that keeps it from being 5 stars is that it's very bland, I added some red pepper flakes and that made a huge difference in the zing factor. :D
I'd never cooked kohlrabi before... it always gets eaten right out of the garden, but I thought this would be a good first recipe to try. After steaming they seemed strangely waterlogged. It made the mix too bland so I added a LOT more mustard. It was enjoyable though.