Prep 6 mins
Cook 25 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: Tasty potato pancakes made in a snap using Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns! Then, topped with a yummy, creamy topping filled with Italian sausage, red bell pepper, fresh spinach and goat cheese. If you are looking for something different to serve your family for dinner, this delicious, quick and easy dish is for you!
- 3 cups Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and veins removed, diced
- 3 cups packed fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- additional fresh basil (to garnish)
- In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, green onions, parmesan cheese, eggs, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet or griddle, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Measure out 1/3 cup of potato mixture, drop into heated skillet, spread out into a 3 1/2” to 4” round. Continue this process using the remaining potato mixture, making a total of 8 potato pancakes. Cook until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes, flip pancakes over and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, approximately another 2 - 3 minutes. Add additional 1 - 2 tablespoons oil, if needed. Remove to plate, season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; keep warm. (Depending on size of skillet you may need to cook potato pancakes in 2 batches.).
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the sausage and red bell pepper and cook until sausage is cooked through, approximately 4 - 5 minutes, being sure to break up sausage into small pieces as it cooks. Add in the spinach and continuing cooking, just until spinach begins to wilt. Transfer to a medium bowl; set aside.
- In the same skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the shallot and garlic and cook for 1 - 2 minutes until shallot begins to soften. Add in the goat cheese and cream and cook until goat cheese has melted, stirring constantly. Add in the reserved sausage mixture, remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and the chopped basil; mix to fully combine.
- To serve, stagger 2 potato pancakes on serving plate, top with sausage mixture, garnish with additional fresh basil.