Prep 2 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is excellent, cheap and easy. You will never buy another bottle! From hillbillyhousewife.com. It is a good base for potato or egg or tuna or chicken salad too.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons dry onion
- 2 -3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Measure the mayonnaise into a bowl.
- Stir in the oil, 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Make sure all of the oil is blended in before adding more.
- Add the onion, and vinegar.
- Stir again, until all of the vinegar is absorbed.
- Add the sugar, basil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Blend well.
- Store the mixture in a pint sized canning jar in the fridge. This may also be prepared by whirling everything together in a blender until it is smooth. Try it on your favorite salads, and also on baloney sandwiches, and in pita bread sandwiches. Excellent.
Delicious. What a base for tartar sauce, 1000 Island, blue cheese, etc! I used 2 tbl red wine vinegar, 1 tbl rice vinegar and a Miracle Whip base - no need for sugar...
This is ~ "the best of the "best" a better dressing a millionare's money can't buy!! Excellent! Top shelf! A real keeper! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Wonder if you have one for "thousand island" too! Keep up the good work and enjoy!!!